HCOM 100: Application Paper #2 Prompt
Read all of the instructions thoroughly before you start your paper.
1. Understand the ways in which communication permeates interpersonal relationships in terms of initiating, maintaining and terminating relationships.
2. Be able to identify and critically analyze terms related to the relationship(s) you are analyzing from chapters 8 & 9
3. Understand interpersonal communication in different settings such as family communication, friendships, romantic relationships or online relationships.
1. 2 pages, double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins on all sides (do not use the default Word margins; you have to set the 1-inch margins manually)
2. Use at least 4 concepts from your text. You need to define AND provide correct in-text citations (APA). DO NOT USE BROAD CONCEPTS; USE SPECIFIC CONCEPTS (i.e., escapist strategy, apologizing)
3. Your paper must be submitted ON T IME. You may not turn it in “later.” Oversleeping, forgetting or running out of time, etc. are not acceptable excuses for not turning in your paper on time.
4. Paper must be in full APA format. You should have a title page, running header, page numbers, in-text citations, reference page, etc. I expect 2 full pages for the bulk of your paper (not including title page or references – you should turn a total of 3 to 4 pages).
For this assignment, you need to watch a movie, episode from a television show, or a personal relationship you have observed very closely (family, yours personally, friends) that highlights one or several interpersonal relationships (family, friendship, romantic, etc.). If you choose to use a television show for the assignment, make sure that you focus on ONE episode only.
Apply meaningful interpersonal communication concepts from chapters 8 and/or 9 ONLY that you observe in the movie, show, or real life etc. Make sure that you fully understand the concepts before you apply them. Do not choose abstract concepts such as “love.” Use more concrete terms such as “bonding,” “matching hypothesis,” “escapist strategies,” etc. The purpose of this assignment is for you to apply the concepts we have learned about in class to a “real-life” context. Although we are using media for this assignment, you should be able to relate on some level to what you observe. I also need to see that you have demonstrated a deep understanding of the material.
• 1st paragraph: Introduction statement, name of the media, brief summary of the media (background information, quick summary of what the movie/show/other is about, or who the people are you are talking about (introduce them– paint a picture in my mind)who are the characters involved, what is/are the relationship(s), etc.), and a preview of the discussion (it would be wise to list the concepts you applied throughout your paper in this section). Make sure that the introduction flows properly and the connections make sense. Do not simply list things.
• Body of paper (should consist of 3-5 paragraphs): You may discuss either one concept per paragraph or several in one paragraph. Keep in mind that you need a minimum of 3 paragraphs for the body of your paper. Include vivid details of the observations and how they connect to the concepts in your textbook. Be explicit.
• Final paragraph: Conclusion, overview of what you observed and the concepts you applied (summary), final remarks and a strong concluding thought. Incorporate a mention of the film/show/etc. or the characters involved in the relationships you observed.
Finally, be succinct. Do not include “filler” information or observations that are not relevant to the concepts or applications. Relevance and clearly identified application is key.
*I expect college-level work to be submitted. Use your best judgment when choosing your media
HCOM 100: Application Paper #2 Prompt